Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Removing Labels from Wine Bottles

yes, you read that right and if you have ever tried (as I have) you have probably found that it is not an easy task.

Over the last few "Sunday Funday" sessions, our friend Matt has brought over these 60oz bottles of sake to share with the other guest, after each session, he placed the empty bottle on the landing of my fireplace.

It is now December and time to recycle the bottles that have collected on the fireplace (with the exception of the one on the day that will never be mentioned again...) but wait... Who do we have here??? Oh....

hello Pinterest!
What did you say?  oh really! you have ideas for me to try with the sake collection of bottles that have accumulated over the last few Sundays!

Oh, do share, wait... what do you mean I have to remove the labels first?
How am I suppose to do that???

And now my search begins.  How do you remove labels from bottles?  In the past I peeled them off and then spent minutes or more trying to remove the sticky goop from the bottles.  I did a quick search and read on several blogs that baking soda and dish soap work well so I'm thinking...

Experiment time!

I filled a plastic tub with hot water, about a cup of baking soda and a small squirt of Dawn.  I also filled my bottle with hot water (only)and placed it in the tub and let it soak for about 30 minutes (or more) while I cleaned and washed dishes.



after my soak time, i pulled out one of the bottles to see how this method would work and....
voila!  the labels just slid right off of the bottle!  no sticky residue, no left behind label.




once I had the label removed, i rinsed my bottle in hot water 



and dried it off in preparation for a Pinterest inspired DIY wine bottle craft so...



stand by!


No comments: