Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Patty Pan Squash

Walking in the market today I came across a vegetable I have never seen before, patty pan squash.  Grown by a local farmer (plus), small (about the size of the palm of my hand.. Some larger) and I was curious to know how this was going to taste!!

After a bit of reading on this UFO shaped veggie I ended up cooking it the way I thought I would enjoy it most:


> I cut the ends off of both sides of the squash

> then chopped it into 1" cubes (if you have the small squash you will get about 4-5 cubes from one palm sized patty pan squash)

> heat about 2 tbsp of coconut oil (or you can use olive oil) in a sautéed pan until it shimmers.

>add squash, pepper, and a pinch of sea salt.  sauté for about 3 minutes.

(optional) I had fresh basil and oregano I had just pulled from the garden so I cut some up and topped my squash with it after I plated it...

Super simple- extra healthy- and took a total of 10 minutes from prep to cook and I have to say~ it tasted amazing! 

Get some and enjoy!

No comments: