Friday, May 14, 2010

What was I thinking??


Have you ever had one of those "what was I thinking" moments? 
I had one today while cleaning my closet (yes I'm still cleaning the closet..) In doing so, I found the one thing that made me laugh out loud and ask myself not only "what was I thinking" but "what the h3ll was I thinking!" so I give my "hair history" which will lead up to my "what was I thinking" moment.

over the last 20 years I have had a variety (small variety) of hairstyles.  The day the navy decided women could wear braids, I was already ahead of the change.  The rules in California were alot more laid back than in Virginia so many long years ago~ soooo, I wore braids before the navy said women could..

After years of wearing braids I finally decided to wear my hair down:


(sometimes I REALLY, really, really miss having shiny permed hair)


Then one day I got this awesome idea~ I'm going natural! and I started on my journey of natural knowledge.  And what a journey it has been. 


As my journey continued and my hair started to grow, those who knew me either said "wow, I couldn't do it" or "it looks good on you, your head is small" or "um-mm, not me".  I would even hear comments from those I didn't know like "look at that girls hair" or "she needs to do something with her hair" which made me want to perm my hair again, but, the comments from the natural ladies like myself of "love your hair" or "have you tried" to "what do you use" and my favorite "how has your journey been?" helped me resist the urge to perm and find awesome alternatives~ extensions, weave, and wigs!!! soo...

I wore extensions that were curly

 
or looked like a blow out fro...


I got wigs that were straight, ones that I ThiNk make me look sexy


and those I think give off a bit of sophistication... 

wigs, weave, wigs, weave!!

readily availabe for the natural haired lady who doesn't want to perm her hair straight!
 _____________________________

 And then today I found it~ that "what was I thinking" wig.  to be honest... I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I bought it...

Yep... this is it~ big, bulky,  no flair, or style... just a mass of hair...
that I bought... for reasons unknown...

A tangled mess purchased prior to deployment that I must have thought I'd wear out in town or something...

And it has some serious miles on it!  it's been to the Mediterranean, through the Straits of Gibraltar, the Straits of Hormuz, the Suez Canal, in the gulf, France, Portugal, Dubai, Bahrain, and all the other places that were traveled (and never visited) over the 6 month sea period...  This thing has been every where~ but on my head!

I'm wondering if I had plans to go on some undercover mission that required a disguise...

black hat, black glasses, you know... spy like...

Ooorrr, maybe I was feeling something like a super star when I picked it up~ not Ciara or Rhianna kind of star but more Diana Ross or someone from the 60's...

yep~ definately a 60's era super star, with my 60's era super hair style...

I'm convinced,
THaT was definately the reason I paid X amount of dollars for this thing... annnnd I packed it in my bags for a 6 month deployment...
( i'm not telling the price! )

I'm still trying to figure out what I was "ReaLlY thinking" when I got this thing.  Probably the worst thing I have ever purchased in my life.  I think I'm going to wear it to the beer festival tomorrow.  Hubby would just lovvvve this stylish hair (almost as much as he loves the other pieces~ or not.  he hates weaves, wigs, or anything on your head that doesn't actually grow from your head... oh, ballcaps, he digs ball caps. just not borrowed/bought hair...)


No comments: