Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Appliance happiness



Playing part time mom/wife for the last 10+ years has somewhat separated me from the reality of what is known to some as "domesticated bliss" not to mention I am NOWHERE near the domestic goddess I had imagined myself to be...

A new appliance in my house was like "whatever" to me, I usually didn't have a choice in the selection (because I was somewhere over seas or in the middle of it) and I only used it "occassionally" IF I was up to cleaning or cooking when I would come home for my short visits..

Hubby and I went into Lowe's about 2 weeks ago to purchase a new stove (that we didn't need in my opinion)... Once we (translated to: he) started looking at stoves, Bob, the awesome appliance guy, mentioned "We have a great deal on front load washer and dryers if you need one of those..."  I said no.... hubby walked away with Bob to take a look, he was in awe to find the Whirlpool and Maytag front load washers were on sale for $889... BOTH PIECES! 

In my mind, I didn't need a new washer and dryer (or stove)... the ones I have still works good!

washer and dryers are purchased... stove is purchased the day after for $300 off plus a 10% military discount= $677.34

Initially, I didn't really care about the stove, then it was in my kitchen...

"oh what a beautiful stove it is!" I sang as I looked at it, nothing expensive or grand (like the viking ranges I have adored since the age of 25) but it is beautiful and looks so sleek and updated compared to the uneven range with the pans that didn't fit no matter where we brought them or how many times we replaced them to make the burners fit the way they are suppose to...

I tore into the book to find, it recommended you use certain types of pots and pans on this glass top rang... every pan I own is JUST the opposite of what it recommends in the use and care guide... "I need new pans" I tell hubby.  He sends me two emails and says "check your mail"  There are two coupons in my box, a 25% off from Macy's and a 20% from JC Penny.  I print both and head to the mall.... 2 hours later and non stop conversation with 2 different women, I come home with my 18 piece set of pots/pans~ regular price $499... on sale for $299... plus my 20% off coupon = $251.99.

As soon as I got home I tore into my new pots and pans, washed them in warm soapy water (that's what the instructions said to do!) and started dinner on my new stove... Who would have thought one person (me) could ever be this excited about something as simple as a stove... not me!

2 comments:

A Heron's View said...

A good looking stove indeed, but not sure about the controls being at the back. Because it means you have to reach over a steaming pot in order to switch off !

GRLzair said...

Funny, I did not notice (or pay attention) to that when I picked out the stove, after reading your comment, I went to my friends house to see where her controls were located....they are along the front!!! I'll have to pay attention to detail (and safety) on the next purchase, my sons are starting to learn to cook! thanks!