Sunday, December 17, 2000

FliRty 30...


At the age 20, I thought I knew it all.  Not in an "I'm the expert" sense, but I figured I'd learned pretty much all I needed to learn about life.  I was grown up and had it figured out.  Well, I may have been a grown up in the chronological sense, but there was certainly much left to learn.  Looking back over these last 10 years, I've learned so much.  And now I'm humble enough to realize that the learning never stops.
At least not if we keep our minds open...

Here are but a few things that I"ve learned over the last decade.  And here's to the next ten years and all the lessons therein....

Since the super young and fun years I've learned...

The guy who invented Starbucks is a genius.  Bigger-better-faster-stronger my be the American way, but it isn't necessarily the right way or the ONLY way.  A nice house with a 2 car garage and a big back yard does not make for a happy home.  Sleep is generous.  Guacomole tastes better in Mexico.  Friendships evolve.  Some friends outgrow one another~ and it's okay.  Waking hours are precious.  Its never too late to go back to school.  Don't promise a child anything you can't follow through with.  God doesn't live in a building.  Keep the peace, choose your battles (wisely).  It's okay to love hard, just don't lose sight of self.  Hagan-Daas chocolate-chocolate chip is to good to stop at "just a few bites.  The whole karma thing you hear about.... IT'S REAL!  I'm capable of more than I give myself credit for.  Birds aim for cars fresh out of a car wash.  Trees suck in the fall, but are a blessing in the summer.  Clutter makes me crazy, yet I am surrounded by it.  Love your children no matter how much they challenge you or do the opposite of what you ask them to do.  People leave~ for reasons unkown, and sometimes, for no reason at all.  Time alone is good for the soul.  Exercise keeps the body healthy and the heart happy.  It's okay to cry.  Snooping is a bad habit.  Things work out in the end~ even if the end result is not what you were hoping it to be.  Politics are confusing.  It's okay to be alone.  Camping is better in a tent.  Always keep your male friends.  Never let go of your close girl friends~ NOT EVEN if there is a new man in your life.  People appreciate a good listener vise someone who does little listening and way to much advising.  Wine tasting in Paris is more fun when you enjoy it with friends.  Raising a kid alone is hard work but worth the challenge.  My afro is sexy.  A tall mocha latte makes me smile.  Small gifts on unexpected days makes my heart flutter.  Someone telling me I'm hot even if I'm a litle chunky around the mid section boost my self-esteem.  True love is out there, you just have to be patient and let it find you. 


The most important thing I have learned...

Enjoy every waking moment as if it were your last.

No comments: